Canada’s Agriculture Day is taking place across Canada on February 11th, celebrating the positive impact of our agriculture sector and Canadian farmers.
Mark the occasion with us by sharing a story or a photo on social media using the #CdnAgDay hashtag. Or you can share one of these 15 facts about Canadian agriculture—our way of celebrating #CdnAgDay in 2020!
Did you know…
- Canadian egg farmers produced over 774 million dozen eggs in 2019.1 Canadians love made-in-Canada eggs.
- Agriculture employs over 2.3 million Canadians…2
- …And adds over $112 billion to Canada’s economy every year.3
- Over 50 years, Canadian egg farming saw a 50% increase in production alongside a 50% smaller environmental footprint.4
- Canada’s agricultural sector is using less energy per dollar of economic output.5
- Agriculture is growing! GDP growth in agriculture between 2012 and 2016 was 11% while the growth for the entire Canadian economy was 7.8%.6
- The world needs more food. Global agricultural demand will increase 50% by 2050.7
- 1 out of every 8 Canadian jobs is in agriculture or agri-food.8
- 92% of Canadians say it’s important that the eggs they purchase come from Canada.9
- There were over 193,000 farms in Canada as of 2016.10
- More Canadians are educating themselves for careers in agriculture. Enrolment in post-secondary agriculture programs grew by 29% in the past decade.11
- Young people are getting involved. Farm operators under 35 account for an increasing share of the total farm operators in Canada.12
- Women account for an increasing share of farm operators, having increased to 28.7% of all operators in 2016.13
- In 2016, 5.3% of farmers reported having a renewable energy system on their farm—the majority of these being solar panels.14
- There were over 158 million acres of total farm area in Canada as of 2016.15
1 Egg Farmers of Canada
2 Canadian Federation of Agriculture
3 Canadian Federation of Agriculture
4 Egg Farmers of Canada
5 Government of Canada
6 Canadian Federation of Agriculture
7 Canadian Federation of Agriculture
8 Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
9 Léger. Supply Management Survey, 2018.
10 2016 Census of Agriculture
12 2016 Census of Agriculture
13 2016 Census of Agriculture
14 2016 Census of Agriculture
15 2016 Census of Agriculture