Malnutrition and HIV/AIDS have affected the majority of the Swaziland population. This epidemic has left as much as half of the country’s population as orphaned or vulnerable children. Many of these children have taken on the role of caregivers of their younger siblings.
Heart for Africa brought hope to the region with its large-scale farming project, and safe haven for children. The result is a growing 2,500 acre multi-commodity farm and community that provides care and education to orphaned children, training and employment to the families in the region, and a sustainable source of nutritious food for many.
Building a stronger community
Heart for Africa’s Project Canaan has expanded with the addition of a new egg farm. Our journey saw a barren patch of land transformed into two layer barns filled with egg laying hens thanks to the generosity of volunteers and supporters.
Egg Farmers of Canada is contributing on-the-ground expertise and has worked closely with the community to establish the entire egg farm from the ground up. The project team, made up of a group of Canadian egg farmers and staff, continues to work with Swazi farmers to train staff and develop a long-term strategy to sustain the operation.
Now that the barn is complete, the farm is offering fresh eggs to thousands of people in the community and is providing a locally produced protein that’s essential for human growth and development.
Project news and updates
- January 2016: The humble egg is making a difference in the lives of thousands of people in Swaziland
- December 2015: Making a difference with education, employment and hope
- October 2015: Join the #CrackingHunger challenge
- September 2015: Raising a barn in Swaziland with Canadian knowledge and expertise
- August 2015: First phase of construction underway in Swaziland
- April 2015: New egg farm in Swaziland will provide essential protein
- March 2015: Building a stronger community and country, one egg at a time
- December 2014: Help us feed a hungry world with nutritious sustainable eggs
- October 2014: Add your voice to the global shout out for incredible eggs on October 10!
*Fundraising total includes in-kind donations which are integral component of this project.